Top Ten Tips
1. Turn On the Power. In the classic round-based maps — “Die Maschine,” “Firebase Z,” and “Mauer der Toten” — your first critical objective is this: Turn on the power. Among other benefits, turning on the power gives you access to Perk machines and the Arsenal, both critical to strengthening your Operator as they face increasingly difficult waves of enemies.
The exact steps for turning on the power differ in each map, though you’re often given helpful direction via the story along with plentiful environmental cues. Once you can consistently power up a map, you’re well on your way to mastering it. When in doubt, follow the objective.
2. Scout the Area. Zombies is a wide-ranging experience, and each map is brimming with content. As you play more matches, you’ll discover all the various items and upgrades to be found, and you’ll gain confidence in moving around all the nooks and crannies. Keep your eyes and ears open, and most of all, don’t get cornered.
Your mini-map is vital when exploring. It points out all kinds of useful things like Perk machines, Crafting Tables, the Pack-a-Punch machine, the Mystery Box, the Trial Computer, and more. Next to the mini-map, you’ll see the name of the area you’re currently in, such as the Helipad or Motor Pool in “Firebase Z.” These are great when making callouts to your teammates.
3. Focus On Your Skill Growth. Between Weapon Classes, Field Upgrades, Perks, and Ammo Mods, there are many paths for skill growth. Upgrading your skills requires various types of Aetherium Crystals, earned by reaching different milestones in your Zombies matches.
When first starting out, consider focusing your spending on Perks specializing in survivability, such as Jugger-Nog and Quick Revive. You can also experiment with the Weapon Class matching your favorite starting weapon, different Field Upgrades to level up, or your preferred Ammo Mods. Once you’ve got a strong foundation, start distributing your upgrades more evenly to reap the benefits of a versatile skill set. The choice is yours.
4. Utilize the Crafting Table and Arsenal. Spend your earned Salvage at the Crafting Table in the starting area of each map to build Tactical, Lethal, and Support items like the Stimshot, Sentry Turret, and Self-Revive. At the Arsenal, activated when the power turns on, gain improved damage resistance by purchasing Armor upgrades and get improved damage output by purchasing weapon upgrades. Keep an eye out for the dummy.
Enemies often drop Common and High-End Salvage on death, so keep up the slaying and stock up on resources.
5. Weapon Tier Matters. Each weapon in Zombies is defined by one of five tiers: Common (red), Uncommon (green), Rare (blue), Epic (purple), and Legendary (orange). Each subsequent tier grants more additional damage and attachments than the last.
It’s to your advantage to get your hands on higher-tier weapons whenever possible, whether through Wall Buys, the Mystery Box, the Arsenal, or any other means. And with the launch of Season Four Reloaded, Wall Buys will now have a chance to upgrade their rarity every 5 rounds. Wall Buy weapons can be upgraded all the way to Legendary rarity, so it’s worth looking around to see what’s been upgraded as the rounds get higher!