Loot, kill, and survive — these are the basics for success in Warzone’s Battle Royale. Through it all, the collapsing circle of gas suffocates stragglers and forces players into an ever-shrinking arena. Your instincts might tell you to stay as far from the gas as possible, to get to the center of the safe area, but that’s not the only strategy. You can also play the edge and use the gas to your advantage.
Even if it’s not your preferred strategy, it’s worth mastering the edge. You never know when a Contract, loot, or a fight with another squad might lead you to the fringes, so it’s a good idea to get some experience playing near it.
Read on to learn how to use the circle collapse to your advantage, and how to turn the gas from a threat into an asset.
Circle Collapse Overview
If you’re new or need a refresher, the circle collapse is the deadly gas that closes in throughout the match, forcing players into an ever-shrinking safe area. These collapses occur in waves, split between one countdown where the gas stays put and another where it closes to its new destination, indicated on the Tac Map. With each new wave the countdown shortens.
The gas inflicts periodic armor and health damage to anyone who touches it, unless the player has a Gas Mask on hand — even then, protection is only temporary.
Play the Edge
The first step toward mastering the circle is to play its edge. In your next Battle Royale match, drop right on the circle’s line, or even outside of it since you’ve got a few minutes before the first collapse. Most players drop inside the circle or in the first few zones along the flight trajectory, while dropping outside of the circle provides a bit more safety. Use that relative safety to loot up and complete a Contract to boost your early funds.
Stay near the line when the gas closes in on the first safe area. The greatest advantage of playing near the gas is the enormous cover it provides. It cuts off an entire direction from attack, reducing the number of angles you need to watch for incoming threats. As long as you pay some attention to the gas – an enemy with a Gas Mask can still flank you, after all — you’re usually safe from attack in that direction.
Grab a vehicle along the way. If there’s a lot of fighting on the edge, or if the circle collapse becomes too daunting, you can get in and drive to a safer position. Use the fast-moving ATV or Tactical Rover depending on your squad size. This is a good strategy to use at the start of a match. Drop toward a vehicle outside of the initial circle, loot up in relative safety, and then drive in closer when the first collapse begins.
And remember — always check the countdown.
Trap Your Enemies
The gas is just as deadly to the enemy as it is to you, a fact that you should use to your advantage. Always consider where you are on the map when the circle is collapsing. If you’re fighting indoors and the gas is coming, there are only so many exits toward safety. Rush outside before the enemy does, cover their most likely exit points, and wait for them to either brave it in the open against you or die to the gas.
Have a Gas Mask? Some Stims? Maybe even a Self-Revive Kit? If you’re properly equipped and the situation arises, you can move right into the gas for critical re-positioning. Say you’re on the edge fighting in Atlas Superstore, in a stalemate, or fighting across two buildings close to each other. Head right into the gas and race for the flank. Attacks from inside the gas are the least expected. Take the enemy by surprise as they search for you within the safe area.
Look Ahead with Recon Contracts
If you’re ever in doubt on where to go next, pick up a Recon Contract. Complete the contract to view the next safe area, displayed as a yellow circle on the Tac Map. This helps you develop a better strategy. Loot up and find a defensive position within the yellow circle, and then shoot down enemy players rushing toward it when the area becomes viewable to everyone.
Rushing straight to the yellow circle, however, poses some high risks. The closer you get to the center, the more enemy players you’ll likely encounter. While there’s always some risk of being spotted, the center tends to draw the most action. You can choose not to reposition into the yellow circle right away, and instead play the edge between the current safe area and the next, looking for routes where you can cut off enemy players moving in.
Tips for Mastering the Circle Collapse
1. When you play the edge, you may want a Gas Mask. It can save you from a collapse or give you the means to flank unsuspecting enemies. If you haven’t found one on the ground or in a Supply Box, remember that you can always purchase a Gas Mask from the Buy Station, a worthy investment for its life-saving capabilities.
2. While you’re at it, consider purchasing a Self-Revive Kit at the Buy Station. It’s essential to getting back up on your feet, for those times when you get shot down while escaping the circle collapse. It also relieves stress on your squad, who can focus on taking out the player who got you instead of racing to your rescue and making themselves vulnerable in the process. Get up, move into the safe area, and get back into the fight.
3. Pay attention to all the entrances and exits of buildings you encounter, for your own survival and to better anticipate where enemy players might come and go. Over time you’ll start to memorize the interior layouts of different zones. If an enemy squad traps you inside when the gas is closing in, remember your parachute: head to the roof and glide to safety.
4. Use Double Time If you enjoy playing near the gas but you don’t like having a vehicle in tow that might give up your position. Once you’ve grabbed the perk from a Loadout Drop, you’ll have double the tactical sprint duration, giving you the legs to book it when you most need to.
5. Use the ping system when you’re grouped with a squad. A major part of playing the edge is to avoid the chaos at the center, but you have to be vigilant about the countdown for the circle collapse. Mark useful weapons and items to get your team equipped with minimal downtime.
Want more information on Warzone? Read the Free Official Warzone Strategy Guide for over 250 tips, an interactive atlas of Verdansk, strategies on game modes, and more.
We’ll see you online.
For more information and the latest intel on Warzone, visit http://www.callofduty.com/warzone and follow @CallofDuty on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.
For more information and the latest intel on Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare®, check out: www.callofduty.com, www.youtube.com/callofduty and follow @InfinityWard and @CallofDuty on Twitter and Instagram and Facebook.
For more information on Activision games, follow @Activision on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.