Jan 23, 2012 4:59 PM
Okay, so we all know there're threads aplenty talking about plenty of problems in this game. What I'm focusing on is not the infrastructure (lag, matchmaking, etc.) but the actual in-game balance. I feel that many of the weapon and gameplay issues in this game arise from the often overlooked aspect of maps, as in, I believe that many things should be attributed to it when they arent.
1. Quickscoping. Sure, it was here before and itll prob be here to stay, but why does it piss ppl off so much here? Think about the maps on this one. With maps like dome/carbon, the longest sightline is still going to be stupidly short. Assault rifle-range short. Now let me ask you, why are snipers made irl? Similar to the same reason shotguns were made. To fight better at a certain distance. Obviously, you cant have mile-wide maps in mw3 (fps issues or w/e) but SRs are an integral part of fpses, thus they have to put SRs in. Your traditional, hardscope snipers will get destroyed on most maps here, because there is not enough space on the maps to "snipe" effectively. Anywhere the sniper rifle can hit ARs can too. So, theres quickscoping. I wouldnt blame quickscopers here like I would on mw2 because IMO, there REALLY is not much you can do with SRs that you cant do better with ARs if the lobby puts you in a sniper-unfriendly map (all of them, bakaara/interchange are the only decent exceptions i can think of). So, for people that hate qsers, I'm with you, but to put things in perspective, qsing wouldnt be so prevalent if IW designed longer-sightline maps like derail or array or even overgrown.
2. Spawns. IW just cannot get them right can they? A whole patch, and ppl make youtube videos the next day of hilarious (in a sad way) spawnkills. Well, lets take hardhat (bc dome is just unfair at this point). When you have 6v6, think about the map layout. Look up a picture of the hardhat map, and tell me it doesnt look like a wheel with 3 spokes. When you have basically any gametype without fixed spawns, think about how many places the game can spawn you where you're not behind a thin-ass wall 10 ft away from a players view. If you have 6 enemies, and the map is smaller than even dome and basically a circle, no spawn logic in the world can find good places. You all know how hectic cod gets, theres enemies and airstreaks everywhere. Add to that the fact that the game supposedly shouldnt spawn you in the way of bullets/nades/care package helis, and you can tell it becomes a shitshow real fast. Downturn is another example, if one team controls the multistory building.
3. F--king buildings. Yeah, we all know campers live in these things, but really IW? An entire map, set in Paris, has 2 goddamn buildings to go in? You spawn at the flag at the top of the hill and youre done. If the other team has the two buildings and a reaper/ac130, youre done. DONE. People like to talk about the fact that building promote camping, but they also serve a very important purpose, which are spawns as well. Spawning inside a building is sometimes the only safe place a player can appear in without airstreaks killing them, and the fact they can have more than one story adds hidden square footage to the maps, allowing for better spawns, not to mention more dimensions of combat. Campers camp as hard as ever in mw3, building or not, and probably more so. And you know what, I'd do it too. Because the instant I move, someone will prob spawn behind me.
4. Paths. Think maps like crash and highrise, and jungle. You have a and c at the ends. Theres 3 ways to go between them, and b is in one of the ways. At any point, you know where the enemies will generally be; theyll be down that path or theyll be in another path, fighting your teammates. Now consider interchange. You have what is a wide open plain, with no real walls, just islands of material. a shitload of cars and random small obstacles. Why does wasteland work and interchange doesnt? becuase wasteland had a hedge between a and c, and there is only spot that you can cut through that hedge, near b. Interchange has 3-4 ways you can cut through and change paths, which means even if you see someone going down one path, theyll be able to appear at any other path. This also account for why some ppl find themselves being flanked repeatedly. Unless youre on a pro/clan team that practices, there will be too many openings to guard and you WILL get shot from behind. The obstacles also introduce unnecessary CQC (more on this later)
5. Luck based engagements. Think seatown at point b. There are maybe 7-8 places you can get shot from if you try to cap it. This is why many find themselves being shot and dont even see their attacker. This makes the game luck-dependent and not skill based; its not that you got outplayed, its just that you guarded the wrong 3 openings and someone (likely just spawned) came out of one of the other 3 spots and was lucky you didnt have eyes in the back of your head :/
6. Killstreak power: Consider this: In every past cod, you could have people going 30-2, 40-4 and in the same scoreboard, you have people going 0-20, 5-40, etc. Now think about your past mw3 games. How many people usually finish non SnD games with deaths in single digits? How many people can have less than 10 deaths, even if they got 50-60 kills and are at the top of the scoreboard? Now this is partly because of the above problems. But it is also due to something else: killstreak effectiveness. How often do you die from a stealth bomber in dome as opposed to bakaara? And whats different about them? Size. A larger size prevents people from spamming AoE streaks and knowing theyll get kills, instead of aiming carefully so as not to waste it. You cannot avoid all of the explosions when the map does not let you. Stealth bombers wouldnt nearly be as bad a problem if the map gave you enough space so you could evade it if you knew the safe spots.
7. CQC. You wanna know why fmgs are overpowered more than the aa12s were overpowered in mw3?
Becuase you can do well with them in EVERY map. You go on wasteland with aa12s only, I'd laugh my ass off. You go on interchange with fmgs, id back out. Who the **** knows where youll spawn/appear from.
So, thats all I have for now. Probably other things I forgot about. To be clear, this is all IMHO. Any agree/disagrees?