Currently Being ModeratedRe: Perks, min. number requirement?WaW
Perk Set #1
* Special Grenades X 3( Having an option for people to up counts is fine )
* Satchel Charge X 2 ( Loved these great period correct answer to C4, essentiasl against vehicles )
* M9A1 Bazooka X 2 ( I agree with these being perks and not as a secondary weapon choice, people should lose a perk slot for this kind of firepower )
* Bomb Squad ( A staple in COD )
* Bouncing Betty X 2 ( The best perk ever in COD, Omni directional trap of any kind )
* Bandolier ( Staple )
* Primary Grenades X 2 ( Loved that Treyarch nerfed this from 3 with MW1, shows Treyarchs commitment to listening to community feedback )
* M2 Flamethrower ( I love setting people on FIRE!! )
Perk Set #2
* Stopping Power ( I think this is fine, probably get reemed for saying it, but balancing a weaker gun is nice )
* Fireworks ( not needed IMO, explosives are deadly enough on their own. )
* Flak Jacket ( I think things like this should be a uniform option, or Perk 4 if you will. )
* Gas Mask ( Perk 4 )
* Juggernaut ( See Stopping Power Answer, not something I use but doesnt bother me to have it in. )
* Camouflage ( Perk 4 )
* Sleight of Hand ( Staple )
* Shades ( Perk 4 )
* Double Tap ( Should be weapon attachment )
* Overkill ( Fine as is depending on setup of secondary weapons. )
Perk Set #3
* Deep Impact ( Staple and should be perk not weapon attachment or mod. )
* Extreme Conditioning ( This or Marathon is fine, staple option. )
* Toss Back ( was interesting, think it was a one trick pony, no need to bring it back. )
* Second Chance ( Loved the revive ability with this one. )
* Martyrdom ( I personally liked this, kept pace in the game. )
* Fireproof ( Perk 4 )
* Dead Silence ( A must include perk with so many people using TurtleBeach headphones. )
* Iron Lungs ( Give or take, no matter to me )
* Reconnaissance ( was pointless )
Perk Set 1
* Marathon | Marathon Pro ( Staple )
* Sleight of Hand | Sleight of Hand Pro ( Staple )
* Scavenger | Scavenger Pro ( very awesome )
* Bling | Bling Pro ( depends on the direction Treyarch goes with the attachments )
* One Man Army | One Man Army Pro ( Hated it, Take it out )
Perk Slot 2
* Stopping Power | Stopping Power Pro ( Staple )
* Lightweight | Lightweight Pro ( Could keep )
* Hardline | Hardline Pro ( again depends on the style of kill streaks in BO, worked well in MW2 )
* Cold-Blooded | Cold-Blooded Pro ( AWESOME )
* Danger Close | Danger Close Pro ( Pointless, Explosives strong enough )
Perk Slot 3
* Commando | Commando Pro ( Bayonets better, Soldiers dont have bionic leaping ability )
* Steady Aim | Steady Aim Pro ( Staple )
* Scrambler | Scrambler Pro ( Was nice, dont hink it should be in BO, as I cant think of period correct equivalent )
* Ninja | Ninja Pro ( Was nice against TurtleBeach headphones )
* SitRep | SitRep Pro ( pro version helped people with TurtleBeaches )
* Last Stand | Last Stand Pro ( loved the upgrades to pro in this using equipment. )
Currently Being ModeratedRe: Perks, min. number requirement?
Vahn this is off topic but, can I post a comment you made about weapon balancing onto another website called Digitalwarfare247.com ? I just want to tell the community there what Treyarch feel like they should do about weapon balancing. This is the quote:
I don't mind. But if you are going to do it, I ask you link back to the thread that was in so people have context. I get quoted out of context all of the time.
I have a separate thread about actual weapon balance, that post is about weapon unlock balance.
Currently Being ModeratedRe: Perks, min. number requirement?KEEP. IT. SIMPLE. Thats all I ask.
First and foremost, Commando, Last Stand, GONE. Stopping Power and Juggernaut should go I think, but thats up to the community. Get rid of the perks that nobody uses, like Shades and Gas Mask and replace or combine them together. No pro perks, MW2 gave to many powers to the player.
Currently Being ModeratedRe: Perks, min. number requirement?remove stopping power because guns should be their strengh not better, and if people want jugg, when it is pro(i take it you making perks pro) it removes fall damage since it is a good idea but commando sucks
Currently Being ModeratedRe: Perks, min. number requirement?I like the perks system but I think every perk should have a downside so for example if you have commando then your hip fire would be less accurate or marothen, then your weapons take a little longer to reload, so that all the perks can suit a style of play and stop 1 person be all powerful.
Currently Being ModeratedRe: Perks, min. number requirement?Vahn -
Thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule to get our feed-back/opinions on Perks for Call of Duty Black Ops. Really nice to see different and yet same opinions on the Perks. I took the time to copy and paste the Perks list you made to reflect my opinion on Perks. What should stay and what should go will be reflected in a different colour to give you an idea of what I feel can be removed and what I feel can stay.
Perk Set #1
* Special Grenades X 3 = Can stay because it doesn't cause many issues with people
* Satchel Charge X 2 = Can stay because if vehicles return then we need to destroy them
* M9A1 Bazooka X 2 = Can stay ONLY if remaining as a Perk and not separate weapons
* Bomb Squad = Can stay show people can see hidden Claymores or Betties
* Bouncing Betty X 2 = Can stay ONLY if it coincides with the era/war we are fighting in
* Bandolier = Can stay because having extra ammo on my favourite weapons I enjoy
* Primary Grenades X 2 = Can stay because I have no issues with this
* M2 Flamethrower = Can stay ONLY if remaining as a Perk and not separate weapon
Perk Set #2
* Stopping Power = Can stay because it helps in Core gameplay to a certain extent
* Fireworks = Can be removed because explosives are fine the way they are
* Flak Jacket = Can be removed because I'm removing Fireworks
* Gas Mask = Can stay because I never used it and it doesn't hurt to have gas protection
* Juggernaut = Can stay although the community is debating on this one perk
* Camouflage = Can stay because lets face it we need cover when sniping
* Sleight of Hand = Can stay because this helps in the heat of battle to reload quickly
* Shades = Can stay if there will be equipment that causes bright lights
* Double Tap = Can stay or be removed it wouldn't bother me
* Overkill = Can be removed because having two LMGs/SMGs/Shotguns as a primary is not fair in my opinion
Perk Set #3
* Deep Impact = Can stay so we can get people hiding behind cover
* Extreme Conditioning = Can stay ONLY if it's not an infinite run
* Toss Back = Can stay because I have no beef with this perk
* Second Chance = Can be removed because who in real life gets shot a few times only to bring out their pistol and shoot the person who shot them?
* Martyrdom = Can be removed because a dead person can't pull the pin on a grenade
* Fireproof = Can stay ONLY if Flamethrower is in the game as a Perk
* Dead Silence = Can stay because it helps with stealth and good for sneaking & sniping
* Iron Lungs = Can stay for those snipers in Call of Duty
* Reconnaissance = Can be removed because I didn't find a use for this nor found it beneficial
Perk Set 1
* Marathon | Marathon Pro = Removed because I can't run forever
* Sleight of Hand | Sleight of Hand Pro = Keep Sleight of Hand and remove Pro
* Scavenger | Scavenger Pro = Remove because it helps with infinite noob-tubes & remove pro because we can have Bandolier instead
* Bling | Bling Pro = Can stay ONLY for the primary weapons not the secondary weapons
* One Man Army | One Man Army Pro = Remove because it can be exploited like it is now where you switch back to your original class and have full ammo again
Perk Slot 2
* Stopping Power | Stopping Power Pro = Keep if these can be combined into one
* Lightweight | Lightweight Pro = Can keep for those heavy LMGs and SMGs
* Hardline | Hardline Pro = I see no harm in keeping Hardline but remove Pro because Deathstreaks are not important and should be taken out altogether
* Cold-Blooded | Cold-Blooded Pro = Since we have Camouflage we don't need this but the name is good to replace Camouflage
* Danger Close | Danger Close Pro = Explosives are damaging enough and why make air support even stronger!?
Perk Slot 3
* Commando | Commando Pro = REMOVE. Period
* Steady Aim | Steady Aim Pro = Can stay for snipers and run-n-gunners
* Scrambler | Scrambler Pro = Remove because not Time Frame relevant
* Ninja | Ninja Pro = Remove, Heartbeat Sensors are gone and we have Dead Silence
* SitRep | SitRep Pro = Good to see explosive traps but enemy steps are loud enough anyway
* Last Stand | Last Stand Pro = Remove both. Refer to Second Chance from WaW
Again this is my opinion of all the Perks form both games. I am in favour of WaW's setup and not Modern Warefare 2's set up. Most of the pro perks were pointless and too unrealistic. I understand this is a video game but Perks should be thought out logically and not added because someone want's to jump off a building and not break their legs.
All in all, just keep simple and easy like WaW is and things should be fine in the eyes of most of the community. Also, less is better
Thanks Vahn for allowing us to help out in anyway we can
Currently Being ModeratedRe: Perks, min. number requirement?Are perks able to be edited and changed via patches post-release?
I would say as long as every perk has a counter and the game stays balanced, the more perks the merrier. It adds depth and more customization.
The tier 1 perks should have a low number of perks, then lower tier such as equipment, should have a higher number. There should be a low number of tier ones because thats the main perk people need to consider and watch out for. Fireworks with rifle grenades, juggernaut, camo, those are the perks people call out to watch for. Having around 4-8 tier 1 perks works well I think, as long as half counter the other half.
Having a lot of low tier perks such as iron lungs, recon, fireproof, ect doesnt break the game. I like the idea of a bunch of small perks that won't be abused, but can help custom fit a class to a player, "pick 2" could work well if you have 10-20ish low tier perks.
And one more time I will say that I think the "pro" version of perks should not be continued, as it lessens customization by forcing players to stick 2 perks together. If I am sniping I want iron lungs, but why would I want steady aim? I am sniping, not spraying and hip firing.
Edit: And keep in mind the effect the perk has on lag. Any fast movement perk is really suseptible to being abused with lag. Unless you guys have streamlined your netcode Halo Reach style, you still need to make sure perks like commando pro/lightweight/marathon are not in the game because lag makes that really annoying. I think the problem is that devs only test their game in LAN or splitscreen or on T1 connections and don't realize how lag can ruin what is otherwise a great game.
Currently Being ModeratedRe: Perks, min. number requirement?Rather than go through the entire perk system and give details about my opinions of each and every perk, I'll save some time by discussing the perks that I don't like.
Allow me to quickly say that, even though it appears that I have joined this forums only recently and have no high post count to back it up, I have played Call of Duty all the way back since the original COD. I've logged countless hours into the multiplayer experience in COD titles.
* Stopping Power - As I'm sure you are already aware, many people feel that stopping power should be removed, and I'm one of those people. I don't understand why a perk would be included that gives such an advantage to one player over another. It essentially forces most players to equip it on their kits so that they can have a fair chance of winning a skirmish. I never even dared using gas mask, shades, or fireworks during WAW because I understood that using stopping power would ultimately net me more kills. Eliminate Stopping Power entirely and you will see a whole new combinations of perks open up, I guarantee it.
* Juggernaut - Juggernaut is essentially the same as Stopping power, giving an equally unfair advantage. The only time juggernaut is balanced is in the case that there is a fight and one opponent has juggernaut and the other stopping power. However, if you do keep stopping power in, it is essential that juggernaut be there as well.
* Shades and Gas Mask - These two perks had the opportunity to be useful, providing that juggernaut and stopping power are removed. These two perks just never came into play that much (I would say I got tabun gassed maybe once every three or four rounds). These two perks may have been more useful had they been combined into one perk, making you immune to all special grenades.
* Toss Back - The idea that this perk presented was great. It's effectively a counter to martyrdom, but I feel that had it been a passive perk (where any grenade that comes in range your character will automatically throw away) it may have been used more. This perk is defeated by the fact that most players on WAW cooked grenades. I know that I myself rarely threw a grenade without cooking it a good two or three seconds. Let is also be known that, had this perk been ported over to MW2, it would have been virtually useless because of the amount of semtex use.
* One Man Army | One Man Army Pro - an excellent perk concept with poor execution. This perk was just too useful. It allowed for a full ammo restore, grenade launcher restore, quicker LMG reload speeds than SoH. why would anyone with an LMG ever want to use SoH when they can use a perk that a)gives them a full ammo reload and b) reloads faster than with SoH? Infinity Ward created a perk that is majorly unbalanced. It's scavenger and SoH combined to some extent. The refilling of explosives lead to the spamming of grenade launchers.
* Stopping Power | Stopping Power Pro - Refer to World at War stopping power
* Commando | Commando Pro - I know you're well aware of the disdain for this perk. I understand that commando has the same gameplay as a bayonet, but in WAW this extended melee range had drawbacks. 1)it could only be used on select weapons. 2)It had a longer recharge rate than your standard knife. 3)By attaching a bayonet, you eliminated other possible weapon attachments. With extended melee range as a perk, this has allowed for all weapons to make use of it. The longer recharge rates do not exist with commando. Plus, when you combine commando with a tactical knife, it creates a terribly unbalanced factor to a game where knives are meant as a last resort--NOT as a primary.
Notice that I did not ask for second chance and martyrdom to be removed. People argue that second chance gives the game a sense of unpredictability. I personally think that it inspires teamwork and allows for clans who move in squads together to revive each other. Martyrdom eliminates the problem of campers. If someone is camping a corner and the camper kills someone who just ran around the corner with martyrdom on, then it forces the camper to move his butt from his camping spot before he gets blown to pieces.
That is all I have to say. Thank you very much for taking the time to read this post.
Currently Being ModeratedRe: Perks, min. number requirement?i like some of these perks like comofoge in WAW AND COOLED-BLOODED IN MW2 THARE ARE MORE NOT COMMANDO I HATE THEM LAUNCHING 70 FT AWAY AND KILLING ME ITS RETARTED WELL I LIKE MORE PERKS TOO LAZY TO LIST BUT I HOPE THEY MAKE NEW AND BETTER PERKS IN THIS NEW ONE